Saturday, March 5, 2011

Today I Wonder


Many days, I find myself rushing through a long list of things I think I must do only to end up missing out on some of the things that mean much more.  My laundry gets done.  The floors are clean.  My menu for the week is planned out in advance.  My emails are answered.  Those things are great, and they are important parts of running a house.  But they are not the most precious threads woven into the fabric of making a home or raising a family. 

Today I wonder a few things.  I wonder what would happen if my "to do" list took a back seat to my "to be" list.  I wonder if I can learn to see the world from my children's perspective a little better if I slow down a little bit and let their playful rhythm guide my dance steps.  I wonder if I'm missing some of the joyful moments of small things that God wants to give me as blessings.

As I think about these things, I'm smiling.  I'm looking forward to my middle schooler waking up and wanting to tell me the stories she has already told me a thousand times about what happened at school this week.  And I am excited to listen to them like it's the first time I've heard them.  I will look her in the eye instead of listening-while-emailing.  I'm eager to lift my toddler out of her bed and hear her laughter.  I will sit on the floor in the middle of all her toys and play dollhouse with her instead of folding laundry while she plays. 

Today I'm asking the Lord to help me see my time as He sees it and to invest it wisely in the moments that matter the most.  

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 90:14

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. Spending time with children in THEIR world...on THEIR level...with uninterrupted focused attention is so very life-giving to their little souls, hearts, and minds. Thank you for being such a great mom to my precious grandkids. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious reminder. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete